Call Today! 856-546-1350

South Jersey Law Blog

DMX’s Staggering Child Support Arrears

Posted by Matt Rooney | Sep 27, 2013 | 0 Comments

Massive Child Support Arrears Are Often An Avoidable Problem

Child support affects average folks as well as the rich and famous. Dr. Phil recently interviewed the famous 1990s/early 2000s Americans rapper DMX; it had been reported that DMX owed $1.23 million in back child support. DMX responded by noting that his income is significantly lower now that it had been when child support was calculated: “Yes I am [behind in child support]. The reason being, at the time I was making $13 million a year. So if I'm making $13 million a year then I can pay that. I haven't made that in about 10 years so of course I'm behind in payments. But the children are taken care of.” It's not an unusual situation restricted only to formerly successful recording artists. The vast majority of our DeMichele & DeMichele child support clients don't make anywhere close to $13 million per year! But if you're Court-ordered to pay $100, $200 or even $500 per week in child support depending, of course, upon the circumstances of your individual case, then it's easy to see how unexpected unemployment can lead to a large child support arrears in a relatively short amount of time. It piles up quickly. Many of our clients owe thousands of dollars in back child support or alimony. Don't wait until your child support obligation results a substantial arrearage, license suspension, passport suspension or even in an arrest and incarceration. This is one problem that almost never improves over time on its own! The key is to remain proactive. If you are unable to manage your current child support obligation due to unemployment or some other significant circumstances affecting your ability to pay such as a substantial, involuntary change in your income (e.g. a layoff or medical problems), then a motion could be filed on your behalf to reduce your obligation to a more manageable amount and establish an arrears payment so that you can begin to pay down what you already owe. Either way, you may also want to consider seeking a different mode of remitting child support. Never forget that you do have options, and experienced assistance is a quick phone call or email away. If you have any questions regarding an outstanding child support arrearage or child support generally, please don't hesitate to contact us online today or call (856) 546-1350 for a confidential consultation with one of our family court attorneys.

About the Author

Matt Rooney

Practice Areas: Family Law (including Divorce, Alimony, Child Support, and Domestic Violence); Municipal Court; Personal Injury; Residential Real Estate; Civil Litigation; Collections.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

DeMichele + DeMichele, P.C. is committed to answering your questions about Divorce, Custody & Parenting Time, Child Support, Alimony, Personal Injury, Municipal & Criminal Defense, and Real Estate law issues in New Jersey.

We’ll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Haddon Heights
313 White Horse Pike
Haddon Heights, NJ 08035
856-546-1365 (fax)