Call Today! 856-546-1350

South Jersey Law Blog

Can I record my soon-to-be former spouse?

Posted by Matt Rooney | Apr 03, 2018 | 0 Comments

It is not unusual for divorcing spouses to want to know whether it's okay to record — with video or audio — the other party.

And as is the case with many questions in the legal arena? The answer is complicated and often highly circumstantial.

First and foremost, you should always consult your attorney before pressing “record.”

Why? The New Jersey Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Act is central to any analysis of these issues. 

New Jersey is a “one-party consent” state. That means only one party needs to consent in order for the conversation to be recorded. Put another way: you do not need to obtain consent to record your spouse provided your spouse KNOWS you're a party to the conversation; if you're sitting in Atlantic City and talking to your spouse on the telephone (she's in Newark), you can usually record it.

The “line” is not always easy to see when you're in an emotionally charged situation. Generally, you cannot leave a recorder on the table or under a potted plant, walk away, and then continue surreptitiously recording. 

Video taping someone with a video phone in a public space is usually permissible; the key is often whether (1) the recorded individual had a reasonable expectation of privacy, and if (2) the recordation qualifies as harassment.

However, installing a secret recording device in a house, car, or laptop used by your spouse could run afoul of not just the New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act (and result in the entry of a restraining order) but also state criminal law for having invaded someone's privacy or even stalking. Civil remedies could arise, too, meaning you could get sued for monetary damages in civil court.

These weighty issues arise before we even get to the more proximate consideration of whether the recording will be deemed admissible in court. 

New Jersey Divorce attoneys

Do you have questions about your New Jersey divorce case? The boundaries for recording your spouse? Or what to do if or when you discover that you are being recorded?

Help is only a quick phone call or e-mail away. Navigating difficult family legal disputes is our passion! We're here to walk you through the process and achieve a best-case outcome given the unique facts of your case.

If you have any questions regarding divorce generally, alimony, equitable distribution, the determination of income for child support, custody, parenting time, or any other family court matters in New Jersey, please contact us online today or call (856) 546-1350 for a confidential consultation with one of our skilled New Jersey family court lawyers.


Note: The outcome of every case is fact specific. Your particular case's results will vary depending on a wide range of legal and issues and factors. The facts of your case may not apply to or relate to the case described above.

About the Author

Matt Rooney

Practice Areas: Family Law (including Divorce, Alimony, Child Support, and Domestic Violence); Municipal Court; Personal Injury; Residential Real Estate; Civil Litigation; Collections.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

DeMichele + DeMichele, P.C. is committed to answering your questions about Divorce, Custody & Parenting Time, Child Support, Alimony, Personal Injury, Municipal & Criminal Defense, and Real Estate law issues in New Jersey.

We’ll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Haddon Heights
313 White Horse Pike
Haddon Heights, NJ 08035
856-546-1365 (fax)